Thursday 15 February 2007

dipping a toe in the music scene

I have now had my first trip to go and see Senegalese music on a stage. I've qualified that because although I've not been to a club to specifically watch a performance before, there is music everywhere around here. In particular, the area where I live is a fairly close knit community and there is a lot of traditional singing goes on around the place and there are also a few groups of guys who set up for drumming sessions here and there - just like Camden! I am considerably less keen on the whole musical experience when it is in honour of the recently deceased, because in my very limited experience this means maximum volume and a 12 hour singing/wailing marathon. It is touching for the first couple of hours but it's a bit hard to concentrate on your work when the same tune is booming into your office for hour no. 6.
I saw a brief but very impressive performance by Habib Fall, long time bassist to Youssou N'dour, who is setting out on a solo career. By contrast to the standard 7 or 8 man band, his performance was just three guys and was a very mellow and catchy affair and very hard to pigeonhole. I'm already a fan.
For something a bit more folk-y, there was also Pape & Cheikh, who are way famous, have toured Europe, played in London and all sorts, but predictably I had never heard of them. I have now though - what's not to like about Senegalese music??

No comments: